As we all get older, the various pressures we are subjected to as members of society, as well as those arising within our own minds, steadily accumulate and increase.
And perhaps the most unfortunate side-effect of this phenomenon is the growing number of good people that succumb to those pressures. Because the upshot is that they inevitably trade their fortitude for endurance, and in doing so sacrifice their individuality.
Power: The ability to do something; you can either have it or not.
- Power is relative to Others; the nature of power is akin to that of confidence – they are both dependent upon & relative to context.
- Power can deliver external advantages.
- To enhance your Power, cultivate your decisiveness.
Strength: The capacity to do something; you can either have a little or a lot.
- Strength is relative to You; the nature of strength is that it is not defined by or relative to context.
- Strength can deliver internal advantages.
- To enhance your Strength, cultivate your composure.
The Bottom Line:
You need power to achieve freedom, but you need strength to be able to enjoy it.
FACT: You don’t deserve better unless you demand better.
So if you really want “better”, a good place to start is developing your character such that you never invite destructive people to run roughshod over you.
This is one of the personal responsibilities of an individual.
Give it some thought.
All watch aficionados are familiar with this piece of advice for anyone looking to buy a watch: “Price, Quality, Style – pick two.”
What this amounts to is that if you want a favourably priced and high quality watch, you will likely have to compromise on style.
If you want a favourably priced and stylish watch, you will likely have to compromise on quality.
And if you insist on having both high quality & style, you must be prepared to pay the price.
I find that Life tends to run along more or less the same lines…
Just a few thoughts on a few differences I’ve noticed between goals (GS) and wishful thinking (WT).
- GS: INTEND to achieve
- WT: HOPE to achieve
- GS: Belief that you CAN
- WT: NO belief that you CAN
- GS: Uncertainty re HOW => Possibility
- WT: Uncertainty re HOW => Impossibility
- GS: Emotional ATTACHMENT
- WT: Emotional DETACHMENT
- GS: INVESTMENT of daily effort
- WT: SQUANDERING of daily effort
- GS: RISK = MISSED accomplishment => DISAPPOINTMENT
- WT: RISK = NO accomplishment => FAILURE
Hope this can offer some clarity if the lines between the two have been a bit blurry.
I think we as human beings require two key ingredients in order for us to cultivate our courage: hope & determination. And for me, here’s what they boil down to.
Hope: Belief in possibilities from WITHOUT.
Determination: Belief in potential from WITHIN.
If we can cultivate and maintain both of these in our lives, it seems to me that we’ll always be able to find the courage to live at our best.
“Maturity is to not hide one’s strength out of fear, and consequently live below one’s best.” – Dag Hammarskjold
If you feel so “busy” all the time, it’s probably because you are. But consider this:
Keeping yourself distracted by doing things that you find COMFORTABLE delivers very different results than investing in your Self by doing things that you VALUE.